'No one needs to tell me when to go' - Sachin


Sachin Tendulkar has asserted that he would play as long as he enjoys his game and nobody should dare tell him when to stop.
Basking in his new-found glory as the highest Test run getter after breaking Brian Lara's record of 11,953 runs, the batting great said he does not have anything to prove to anyone and nobody should tell him when to call it quits.

"I don't need to prove anything to anyone. I have been around for 19 years and all those 19 years I did not play to prove anything to anyone, not in my first year not in the 10th, 15th or 19th year," a combative Tendulkar said.

"What I need to do is to contribute to whatever my team's requirements are. I'm not here to answer what x,y, and z is writing about me or saying about me. People will say lot of things, not necessarily they are always correct. I don't take thir opinions seriously," he said.

"What happens in the dressing room is more imporant. The planning of the captain, coach, manager and other players are much more important. I just focus on that," he said.

Tendulkar made it clear that though the clamour is growing for the retirement of the senior players in the side, he was in no mood to hang up his boots.

"I'm going to continue obviously, I'm feeling good. As I said, so many things are being said and written and not necessarily those are right. Those are only opinions", he said.

Meanwhile in Mumbai, Sachin's wife Anjali echoed similar sentiments sayinf that the cricketer will not stay a "minute longer" when he is not enjoying the game.

"I can be hundred per cent sure that Sachin will not play for a minute longer when he is not enjoying himself. He is still so eager to go out there and play. He will play as long as he feels he can play," Anjali told reporters.

She also rubbished the speculation that the 'Fab 5' are under pressure from the BCCI for their retirement.

"So far there has been nothing from the Board's side... nobody is telling anyone that you have to retire. I think people respect these guys enough."

Cricketing Snaps Around

Mail to anyone

Mappia