Tendulkar tops charts


A look at the top 10 leading run-scorers in Test cricket after Sachin Tendulkar went past Brian Lara’s record on Friday.

Tendulkar, who now has four world records, not only went past the West Indies legend but took it a step further as he crossed the 12,000-run mark.

The top ten list is dominated by India and Australia with three players each, while West Indies, South Africa, England and Pakistan are represented by a player each.


This is my biggest milestone: Sachin

Sachin Tendulkar Friday said that going past 12,000 runs in Test cricket was the "biggest milestone" in his career.
"It has taken me 19 years to get here, it cannot happen overnight. In the journey there have been ups and down. It is a process of success and failures and during this time stones have been thrown at you and you have to turn them into milestone," he said after being felicitated by the BCCI at the close of the first day's play of the second Test against Australia at Mohali.

The stadium erupted in celebrations once Tendulkar reached 15 in his innings of 88 as he went past Brian Lara's record to become the top run-getter in Tests. Sachin, however, said he was not that excited and wanted to carry on with the game.

"I was not that excited to be honest, the focus was on continuing the game and not lose my concentration. Sourav (Ganguly) and I decided that we had to concentrate and make a big partnership."

Tendulkar and Ganguly put on a 142-run stand after India were reduced to 174 for four at tea after getting off to a flying start.

The Mumbai Bomber, who was dismissed for 88, said he was disappointed at losing his wicket at that stage.

"It was disappointing that I got out as the role was to stay there and get a big knock. There was a lack of footwork, I was a fraction late to judge the new ball."

Even though he would have preferred to have his record come earlier, he was happy to have got to the record against a top side like Australia.

"I would have preferred to get my record earlier, but I am happy it has come at the right time. And australia are a top side and I am happy to get it against them," he said.

Asked whether he felt butterflies in the stomach as he approached the milestone, he said: "I was okay. I was trying to concentrate on my game but everyone was reminding me of the record."

Did he rue missing out on the record in Bangalore?

"No," pat came the reply. Tendulkar said the important thing on day five of the first Test was to save the game.

"I thought the most important thing was to save the Test match. We lost a couple of early wickets and then we had some decemt partnership. By the time I got out (on 49), I knew I had done my job and was relieved. I told myself that the record will come sometime."

Tendulkar said there was no special preparation for getting the record. "I decided to keep it simple and keep watching the ball."

Cricketing Snaps Around

Mail to anyone

Mappia